Friday, April 9, 2010

Hello!


This is my first posting to my blog. My intention with this blog is to write about all of my adventures through the ongoing chapter of my life called knitting. My blog is called "The Nappy Ewe" because, like a ewe, I am a girl with thick, curly hair. Cute, huh? What can I say?

During the day, I am a 3rd grade teacher in the south suburbs of Chicago, and at night, I am a wife of ten years, and a loving mother to two very cute kids. In between educating America, and taking care of my family and home, I knit.

I began my knitting adventure in March 2009, and I just recently celebrated my "yarnnivsary". One year and still going strong. I love to learn all I can about knitting, and therefore I attend classes, workshops, fiber festivals and conventions. I read numerous magazines and books, and I spend a lot of time on Ravelry. I would like to set up this blog in the following pattern: podcasts to listen to, what's on my needles, what I am reading, and knitting events that I will be attending.

Podcasts: I enjoy listening to podcasts, and reading their respective blogs. My favorites to date are:

Never Not Knitting
Knit Science
Knit Picks
Yarn Craft
Knitting in the Round
Manic Purl
The Anatomy of Knitting
Fiber Beat

You can find these online or through my favorite venue, Microsoft Zune. They are also available through iTunes. Give them a listen. I think you will enjoy them, especially Fiber Beat!!! It offers video interviews and tutorials. This week, Kelly Petkin of the Knit Picks Podcast is discussing how to read a pattern. Yes, I know, you know how to do it already. BUT, Kelly has some great tips and information about reading charts, and copyrights. Wonder Mike of Fiber Beat has a cool video interview with Cookie A of Sock Innovations, and one with Jacey Boggs of Insubordiknit podcast and the video Sit and Spin. Great podcasts this week. Give them a listen!!!

On my needles: Presently on my needles is The Garter Stitch Through the Loop Scarf from 101 Designer one-skein Wonders. I am knitting it in Rowan Cashsoft DK. I hope to finish this soon, because I want to knit a baby sweater for my cousin-in-law who is pregnant. The baby is due in September, so, I have time. I would also like to work on a sweater for myself, the Clover Cardi from Knitscene Winter07/Spring08 issue, and sweater for my mother-in-law.

What am I reading now?: I just got the Knitscene Easy 2010 today. Too cute! Go get your issue. It has cute, easy projects, tips and tools that knitters or all levels will enjoy. I also just finished reading How to Knit a Love Song by Rachael Herron. WONDERFUL!!! It had everything I like: romance, cowboys, knitting, and even a little bit of yoga!!

Knitting Events: I will be attending the first Beverly Hills Fiber Festival on 4/11/10 from 11am-5pm at the Beverely Arts Center. It is hosted by My Sister's Knits yarn shop, located at 99th and Walden Parkway in Chicago's Beverly Neighbohood. $2 to get in and shop 'til you drop!!! Bring some money and a smile. Oh yeah, there will be a charity there, I cannot remember the name, but, they will be collecting knitted and crocheted hats for chemo patients. Bring a hat, and warm a heart.

I hope that this blog will be a resource of fun and information for you, and I hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to let me know what you think!!! I am still learning how to blog, so as I learn, I will add more photos, links and other fun items. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment